Saturday, September 03, 2016

Digest for rec.games.trivia@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 2 topics

"Peter Smyth" <smythp@gmail.com>: Sep 02 05:31PM

Calvin wrote:
 
 
> 1 What impressionist famously painted several different views of
> Rouen cathedral?
Manet
> 2 Clogs are chiefly made from what raw material?
Wood
> 3 Which European country banned religion in 1967 and so became the
> first atheist state?
Albania
> 4 In various games/sports (and particularly golf), which term allows
> a player a second chance to perform an action, usually after the
> first went badly wrong?
Mulligan
> 5 Which British cyclist (b. 1976) has won 6 Olympic and 11 World
> Championship gold medals?
Sir Chris Hoy
> 6 Which film did Alfred Hitchcock make twice, in 1934 and 1956, with
> Leslie Banks and James Stewart in the respective title roles?
North by Northwest
> 7 A vexillologist is an expert in what?
Flags
> 8 Which sporting event was held for the first time in Chamonix,
> France in 1924?
Winter Olympics
> 9 The Islamist militia group Boko Haram is based in which country?
Nigeria
> 10 Which so-called "Royal Sport" was banned in England in 1849?
 
 
Peter Smyth
Pete <pagrsg@wowway.com>: Sep 03 03:15AM

Calvin <334152@gmail.com> wrote in
 
> 1 What impressionist famously painted several different views of
> Rouen cathedral?
 
Monet
 
> 2 Clogs are chiefly made from what raw material?
 
Wood
 
> 3 Which European country banned religion in 1967 and so became the
> first atheist state?
 
East Germany
 
> 4 In various games/sports (and particularly
> golf), which term allows a player a second chance to perform an
> action, usually after the first went badly wrong?
 
Mulligan
 
> 6 Which film did Alfred Hitchcock make twice, in 1934 and
> 1956, with Leslie Banks and James Stewart in the respective title
> roles?
 
The Man Who Knew Too Much
 
> 7 A vexillologist is an expert in what?
> 8 Which sporting event was held for the first time in Chamonix,
> France in 1924?
 
Winter Olympics
 
> 9 The Islamist militia group Boko Haram is based
> in which country?
 
Nigeria
 
> England in 1849?
 
> cheers,
> calvin
 
Pete Gayde
The GOLQ Institute <list@golq.org>: Sep 02 08:23AM -0700

GOLDEN OLDIES LYRICS QUIZ #356 (GOLQ356)
 
Welcome to the September edition of the quiz. There are two mini-themes, each
of which encompasses roughly a half-dozen songs. One is fairly obvious, the
other less so.
 
-- Howard Teitelbaum
 
============================================================================
 
Blindly searching for lyrics on the Internet is not in the spirit
of the GOLQs, and we disapprove of this practice.
 
Entries are due by 5:00 PM EDT (GMT-4) on Friday, September 30, 2016.
E-mail early, because you can't be sure of how long it will take for
your message to reach GOLQ World Headquarters.
 
DO NOT POST your answers to any newsgroups, discussion forums, etc.
E-mail your entry to <golq356@golq.org>. By using this address, you
will be able to determine whether your entry has been received by
viewing the GOLQ entry log at http://golq.org/cgi-bin/golqentry.cgi.
 
Use this address only for GOLQ356-related mail. After the quiz is
over, mail to this address will be discarded without being read.
 
The web site for the Golden Oldies Lyrics Quiz is at http://golq.org.
There you will find:
 
- the GOLQ rules http://golq.org/rules.html
- instructions for subscribing to the GOLQ mailing list
- the current quiz http://golq.org/current.html
- an archive of past quizzes and results http://golq.org/archive.html
 
============================================================================
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Golden Oldies Lyrics Quiz #356
Recordings #01-25 were from 1955 through 1969
Due 5:00 PM EDT (GMT-4) on Friday, September 30, 2016.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
And every now and then
I spend my time at rhyme and verse
And curse those faults in me
#01)
 
Our vacation time has come to an end
Now I gotta get back to my studies again
And make good grades so I can pass
#02)
 
You couldn't call him handsome
But he's loaded with style
Always wears a t-shirt
And a great big smile
#03)
 
One day, little girl
The sadness will leave your face
As soon as you've won
Your fight to get justice done
#04)
 
And these few precious days
I'll spend with you
These precious days
I'll spend with you
#05)
 
Yeah, double beatin'
Keep repeatin'
#06)
 
The fellas all tell me
You're not very pretty
They tell me to go out
With Jane or Betty
#07)
 
I'll be alone each and every night
While you're away, don't forget to write
#08)
 
Someone to hold
Someone to love
Someone to cherish
From heaven above
#09)
 
The many ways you speak of love, I've heard before
But it sounds so good every time
Please say the part I love just once more
Darling, I'm so glad you're mine
#10)
 
I don't need sunny skies for things I have to do
'Cause I stay home the whole day long and think of you
#11)
 
Cloudy waters cast no reflection
Images of beauty lie there stagnant
Vibrations bounce in no direction
But lie there shattered into fragments
#12)
 
Before you ask some girl for her hand, now
Keep your freedom for as long as you can, now
#13)
 
I saw you standing there
I saw your big brown eyes
And loved your raven hair
#14)
 
From my laboratory in the castle east
To the master bedroom where the vampires feast
The ghouls all came from their humble abodes
To get a jolt from my electrodes
#15)
 
One of these early mornings, yeah
Gonna be wipin' your weepin' eyes
#16)
 
Although it's always crowded
You still can find some room
For broken-hearted lovers
To cry there in the gloom
#17)
 
Gone are the clouds
That darkened your sky
Gone are the tears
I used to cry
#18)
 
I walked on over, and I asked her to dance
Thinkin' maybe later on, we'll make romance
#19)
 
All my life, I've been shortchanged
Without your love, baby, it's a crying shame
And now I know what the fellas are talking about
When they say that they been turned out
#20)
 
She was wearin' ginchy garments
And her sweater fit her tight
Her imported shoedebakers
Meant some leopard lost a fight
#21)
 
The birds are singing and the children are playing
There's plenty of work and the bosses are paying
Not a sad word should a young heart be saying
But fun is a bore and with money I'm poor
#22)
 
He flirted every step of the way
I could hear every word he'd say
My resistance was getting low
And my feelings started to show
My heart started pumpin', blood pressure jumpin'
#23)
 
To every word of love I heard you whisper
The raindrops seemed to play a sweet refrain
#24)
 
Baby, I know we got troubles
'Cause these ain't easy times
Seems this whole world's gone crazy
#25)
 
------------
Tie-Breakers
------------
 
I want it (I want it) when the lights are low
I want it (I want it) just before you go
I want it (I want it) because I love you so
#T1)
 
Floatin' in the river
With a saturated liver
And I wish I could forgive her
But I do believe she meant it
When she told me to forget it
And I bet she will regret it
#T2)
 
============================================================================
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please fill in the following information (append at the end of each line):
 
Name(s) =
E-mail address =
Age(s) [will be published if provided] =
Number of people (including you) who contributed to your answers =
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.games.trivia+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment