Monday, May 28, 2012

The Frontstretch Newsletter: Memorial Day Weekend Wrap-Up

THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND WRAP-UP

Volume V, Edition XCVII
~~~~~~~~~~~

ADVERTISEMENT
Are you looking to advertise your website, product or brand?  A good way to get your name out there is via direct advertising here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!  Interested parties can contact us at frontstretcheditors@googlegroups.com for details.
~~~~~~~~~~~
CATCH YOUR FRONTSTRETCH FAVORITES THIS WEEK! This week, the following staff members will be on TV, Radio, or online podcasts. Be sure to tune in and support your favorite writers!

Tom Bowles - SIRIUS XM Channel 90 (Saturday, Press Pass Co-Host):
11:00 AM - 2:00 PM EST
~~~~~~~~~~~
POLL OF THE DAY: Which one of Sunday's races was the best - The Formula One Grand Prix Of Monaco, the Indy 500 or Sunday's Coca-Cola 600? Click here to vote.

Other Polls of Interest...
Rate The Coca-Cola 600
Will Kasey Kahne Make The Chase?

~~~~~~~~~~~
Sprint Cup: Coca-Cola 600
OFFICIAL RESULTS AND STANDINGS

Secret Star Of The Race: The Best Run You Never Saw

Sure, he only led one lap. In the grand scheme of things, an eighth-place finish is clearly not what Kevin Harvick was looking for. But after a difficult month of May, it was important for this once-title contender to settle down and snatch up a top-10 finish before the meat of the summer schedule kicks in. After three straight runs outside the top 10, averaging a 20th-place finish during that stretch a winless Harvick was in danger of falling into the clutches of drivers like Brad Keselowski, Clint Bowyer, and others who could knock him from the championship altogether. Considering Charlotte isn't the driver's best track - Sunday marked Harvick's seventh top-10 result in 23 career starts there - the 1.5-mile oval wasn't the perfect choice to turn things around. But will a surprising result there be the small boost of momentum this car needs to get turned back in the right direction? With Kasey Kahne, Keselowski and others further down the points chart charging, the answer needs to be a resounding "yes" because there isn't much time to right the ship before others come sailing by. - Tom Bowles

STAT OF THE WEEK: 1.
That's the number of races with ten or more cautions so far this season. By comparison, we had five through 12 races a year ago, including 14 in last year's Coca-Cola 600. This year? We had just five, totaling 23 laps. - Tom Bowles

QUOTES TO REMEMBER

"I never really doubted myself.  I was upset at some of the things that may have happened.  I made a huge mistake at Phoenix, hit the wall there.  But other than that, we were solid, we were fast.  It was just a matter of getting past those five weeks and moving on and putting some solid races together." Kasey Kahne on turning his season around

"
I think my job is to try to reassure them that we knew that they were capable of winning races - again, because of the speed. I've been doing this long enough to know that if you have speed, if you can run up front, you're going to win races.  If you're running 20th, you stretch gas mileage, you end up with a couple of 10th-place finishes, you're not going to win running like that. It felt like all along when the luck would turn, these guys would win races." Kahne's car owner, Rick Hendrick

"Just used all my tires up trying to get to him -- I was driving with my eyes out and my hair on fire for 20 laps on that restart trying to catch him (Kasey Kahne). He just had a superior car tonight." Denny Hamlin, finished second

"Everybody is trying to make last call." Denny Hamlin, on the record pace of the Coca-Cola 600

"I think everyone is so used to these cars now.  I think at the beginning, these cars were a tremendous handful to drive.  Obviously we saw some wrecks because of it, especially on restarts. Bottom line, I think everyone is so concerned with points nowadays, you know if you wreck and you finish in the 30s, you're going to take 10 races to get that back.  I think everyone's just a little bit more patient on restarts, as crazy as that sounds.  It's just not as wild on restarts as it used to be a couple years ago.  Everyone is minding their Ps and Qs, trying to get the best finish out of their day, knowing the one thing you can't overcome in a race is a crash." Denny Hamlin on the current trend of green-flag racing

"The green flag runs helped though because once you get about 30 or 35 laps on a set of tires, you can start searching around and moving around and some guys would go to the top, you could make the middle work, you could make the top work. It took so long for the cars to slow down to a certain point that then you could make speed up on the top side. I could do that, but it just took so long in the run to get to that point. If you went up there too early, you'd lose spots. I did that a couple times today." Kyle Busch, finished third

"The same thing happened to us in the All-Star Race. It seemed like when the speeds picked up and it was cool out, our car just started sliding the tires a little bit. We were super-good early. I can't believe how fast we were, but the guys did a great job. We just want to work on turning the front of the car a little bit. I'd go off in the corner and slide the nose and have to wait on it and that's where the guys were beating me a little bit. We gained a little in points, but we really wanted to win." Greg Biffle, on his drop to fourth after leading a race-high 204 laps

"He (Tony Stewart) took the blame for it but I thought it was my fault. It's one of those deals where you're coming in and going out, it's like being in a Wal-Mart parking lot and you're both going for the same parking spot and sometimes things happen. Basically I ran into him (smiles). I don't want to make it any more complicated than that." Brad Keselowski, on his incident with Stewart (finished fifth)

"We want to win so bad we can't stand it. And we're getting kind of close. It feels good to be competitive. I don't want to take our consistency for granted but we would like to improve just a little bit more and we'll get some wins." Dale Earnhardt, Jr., finished sixth

"Well, we led the most laps with the No. 16 car, and then we put two tires on, when everybody else put two tires on at the end and we didn't go. So we've got to try and figure out if our two-tire adjustment strategy was flawed, or if we just didn't have the best two tires in the garage. The other two cars, they tried to fight back all night from having loose wheels, we've got to figure out if I've got a gun problem or if I've got an operator problem. We had bad pit stops that screwed them up. But the cars ran well, and they practiced well, and the engineers did a nice job. We've got to go back and learn, see what we need to do to get better."  Jack Roush (Frontstretch Exclusive)

"We passed a lot of cars. I don't know how many cars we passed, but we passed a bunch of them. Truly, I don't think we could have passed more cars. We went from 28th to 12th, then back to 33rd and back up to 9th. We needed 700 miles, 800 miles... 600 was not enough. I thought Greg was going to get the win for Fastenal. That would have been really neat. But we struggled. We had a loose wheel - I think Matt had a loose wheel. We'll have to figure out what's going on there. And then there at the end, we just got in a line of cars, everybody's cars were pretty fast and it was hard to make up any ground. I thought we had a shot of winning earlier in the race, we were really fast. So we had a lot of troops here, a lot of folks being honored and I hope we put on a good show for them. Congrats to Kasey, I know he's worked really hard this year, and that whole team - they deserve that win. They worked really hard for it. For some reason, at the end our balance wasn't as good. We've got some things to work on. We want to win these races, we want to dominate. We know how fast these cars can be. We've just got to figure out how to make the No. 99 car better. " Carl Edwards, finished ninth

"We just made a couple of little mistakes on pit road tonight. The one late it took us out of a chance for a top three there but it happens. Last week things couldn't have gone any better, Darlington they went amazing and then this week we had a few little issues. These guys will work their tails off this week and make sure we get those things corrected." Jimmie Johnson, finished 11th

"I think this is still improvement. I was just talking to Mike and this is still my first year running full-time in the Cup Series. It's my first-ever Coca-Cola 600. It's hard to expect to come here and just whip up on Jimmie Johnson and Kasey Kahne and those guys, so going into the race tonight I felt like we had a good car, I felt like we were capable of having a good night. We had two runs there where we got pretty loose and gave up a lot of time on the track, and with the way the race went with those long green flag runs, that was killer. But I think the guys on pit road did a great job. We'll take it." Aric Almirola, finished 16th after starting on the pole

"We had a lot of green-flag running and for me as a driver in general in NASCAR, but especially as a new driver in the Cup Series, that hurts me. Those long runs hurt me. I'm just not great at making the best out of a car that's not perfect and those long runs really show that. But that's what you get in Cup. You get a lot of green flag running and I've got to learn how to deal with that." Danica Patrick, finished 30th

"Something happened with the left front hub; I'm not sure exactly what happened there. We were never good from the start; we just weren't good, very fast this weekend. It's disappointing to have something else break every weekend. We weren't very good anyway." A.J. Allmendinger, finished 33rd

~~~~~~~~~~
Got NASCAR or open wheel-related questions or comments?
Send them John Potts' way at john.potts@frontstretch.com; and if you're lucky, you'll get your name in print when he does his weekly column answering back to you – the fans that keep Frontstretch afloat. Potts' Shots will run on Thursdays with a whole new set of Fan Questions and Answers!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Indy 500: Quotes To Remember
FULL RACE RECAP

"Tony came and got in the lead. I'm like, Damn, where did you come from?  Kind of like old times, the three of us back and forwards. I thought, Dan is laughing at us right now going at it. But then coming down to after that last restart, swapping back and forwards. Takuma came into the last lap, got a good run on the inside. I moved over a bit, I saw him coming. I said, 'No, I'm too late. This is well before the corner.' I moved back up. We turned into the corner, I gave him a load of room, with the tight line, he lost the rear. Turn one was the trickiest corner. If you went in with a tight line, it tended to get a bit loose. He lost the rear, came around and hit us. I managed to catch it." Dario Franchitti, race winner

"It was pretty close and (Dario Franchitti and Takuma Sato) got a run on me into (Turn) 1 there. Sato was definitely a guy throwing it in there all day, and he tried to do the same thing to Dario. I thought we were going to get really lucky because they touched, and I thought they were both going to end up in the fence. Credit to Dario. He had a bad start to the day and came through the field." Scott Dixon, finished second

"It's pretty crazy how it all lines up. Dan still owes me one, I think. Dario did a fantastic job. All of us wish Dan was still here racing with us. He's a hell of a guy and left a big void and hole in all of our lives. I hope we put on a good race for the fans, and I'm sure he's smiling down on us." Scott Dixon about the podium being made up of Dan Wheldon's closest friends

"On the last lap, I was trying to set up Scott. I knew I was a sitting duck on that restart, and then I see Taku going on the inside of Dario, and I know Dario. I said, 'Either they're both going to crash, and I'm going to have to pass Dixon for the win, or Dario's going to win.' And Dario won."  Tony Kanaan, finished third

"I was going for the win. On the last restart, we jumped from seventh to fifth, then taking fourth, third, second. I kept pushing and overtaking. On the very last lap, I had a good tow from Dario. I thought I had the job done. But he kept pushing and didn't give me enough room, so that I was well below the white line. But an outstanding job by the team. It was a very exciting race."  Takuma Sato, on his last-lap crash

"My mistake coming into the pits. Came in a bit too hard and collected some of my guys, and that screwed up the front wing and we didn't realize it till I got out. Through Turns 3 and 4, it felt a little wiggly, and I thought it was just tire temperatures. But down the front straight when I went down into turn 1, I could see one of the endplates sticking up in the air. I knew it wouldn't be right turning in, so I tried to back out just going in. But I knew Will was close behind me so I didn't want to back out too much, and the car got very loose, which I was able to correct it once. But it broke loose again, and I couldn't catch it the second time and then I was just a passenger on board."  Mike Conway, on his midrace wreck

"I'm disappointed, but we didn't have speed from the beginning. I understand the call. We have to have more horsepower to be competitive. The guys really worked hard. We'll see what happens next year. I'm pretty disappointed to get black-flagged after only a few laps. We were trying to keep up pace, but unfortunately right now we don't have the pace, so now we have to work hard to get to the pace that we need to." Simona de Silvestro, on Lotus' early exit

~~~~~~~~~~~

FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:
Q:
In the 1992 Budweiser 500 at then-Dover Downs International Speedway, Derrike Cope and Wally Dallenbach, Jr. crashed hard on the frontstretch.  That's not necessarily out of the ordinary since Dover is a "self-cleaning" racetrack.  What is unusual is that the yellow was out for an astonishing 37 laps.  Why?

Check back Tuesday for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!
 
Coming Tomorrow in the Frontstretch Newsletter:
-- Top News from Kevin Rutherford
--
Sitting In the Stands: A Fan's View by S.D. Grady
-- Links to your favorite Frontstretch articles, and more!

Coming Tomorrow On The Frontstretch:

The Yellow Stripe by Danny Peters
Danny is back with another interesting commentary.

5 Points To Ponder by Danny Peters
Bryan returns with a series of storylines setting you up for Dover.
 
Who's Hot / Who's Not in Sprint Cup Presented by StarCoach Race Tours: Coke 600-Dover Edition by Brett Poirier
With the lone 600-mile race in the books, Brett looks at what positive trends are developing in NASCAR's two top series and which drivers need a breather heading into Sunday's race in Dover.

Couch Potato Tuesday by Phil Allaway
This past weekend, the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series competed at Charlotte Motor Speedway.  Meanwhile, the Izod IndyCar Series finally completed the month of May with the pomp and circumstance of the Indianapolis 500.  Were the race telecasts for these events up to snuff? Find out in this week's edition of the TV Critique.

Tech Talk by Mike Neff
We'll have a special Cup Series guest stop by to discuss the technical aspects of our sport.
------------------------------
Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to editors@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2012 Frontstretch.com

--
Feel free to forward this newsletter if you have any friends who loves
NASCAR and great NASCAR commentary. They can subscribe to the Frontstetch by visiting http://www.frontstretch.com/notice/9557/.
 
If you want to stop your Frontstretch Newsletter subscription, we're sorry
to see you go. Just send an email to
TheFrontstretch+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com from the address that you
recieve the Frontstretch Newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment